Our purpose is to create, grow, and protect value for all within our footprint through developing 1st class hop varieties, relentlessly pursuing quality, and building meaningful relationships. These are not abstract concepts to us. We define our FOOTPRINTS™ as being everyone and everything from grower to beer drinker.
FOOTPRINTS™ is the comprehensive brand management program that SBG employs to ensure the highest level of attention is given to the growing and harvesting of our hops. We employ fully-dedicated personnel to make certain these standards are met. Since the inception of FOOTPRINTS™ in 2012, SBG managed brands have consistently been among the purest and highest quality hops on the market and have garnered an excellent reputation for quality and consistency.
SBG supplies true to type rootstock for each managed brand ensuring varietal purity.
- New plantings shall occur in field that did not previously cultivate hops. If a field did have hops in the ground, it must be fumigated prior to planting any SBG managed brand.
- Yards are scouted throughout the year to identify any off-types or males. If off-type plants are located, their removal is coordinated with the grower.
SBG works with growers to ensure best management practices are applied to each brand. This includes:
- Optimal training dates.
- Integrated grower support through joint collaboration with YCH.
- Optimized harvest window dates.
- All SBG managed fields are GPS mapped to aid in crop management and traceability.
SBG is committed to providing brewers with the cleanest, highest-quality hops possible. To maintain this commitment, SBG requires adherence to YCH's GreenChief® farm quality program.
- An early season facility walkthrough is conducted at every farm to help growers identify potential issues with food safety.
- A pre-harvest audit ensures any food safety infraction identified during the early season walkthrough has been addressed.
- Ongoing food safety training is required for SBG employees.
- Pesticide use is monitored to ensure all applications are administered within the legal limits for pesticide residues.
Harvest Quality & Traceability
Even the highest quality crop can be compromised with faulty harvest and kilning practices. SBG requires specific standards on how our brands are harvested to ensure a consistent, high-quality product.
- Aroma hops are dried at a lower temperature (as dictated by individual varietal standards) to preserve oil content.
- Hops must be clean, free of debris, and a consistent green color true to type.
- Kiln depth may not exceed 30 inches to maintain a uniform dryness.
- Delivered bales must have a moisture rating between 8.5% and 10.5%.
- SBG and YCH employ key measures of traceability to ensure SBG hops can be monitored from the elds of our growers to the fermenters of our customers.
- We provide detailed annual performance reports and rankings to growers for feedback and continuous improvement opportunities.